• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Betta Count:9
  • Total Fish Count:12
  • Statement:Life is a box of chocolates

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (Strick @ Apr 22 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An excellent reply, Orion. Thank you.

But I'm still not sure which way I'll go. My biggest tank (for now, at least) is 10 gallons. I also have 3 6-gallons, and a 2.5-gallon at work. I'll probably just "settle" for low-tech, non-Excel tanks. I'm not big on pruning and rearranging on a weekly basis. Like you, I much prefer a (somewhat) worry-free tank that I can just enjoy.

If that is the case then I would strongly advise against a DIY CO2 setup. Excel is great for small tanks though, so you could definitely consider it. You could get away with a water change every 2 weeks. The nice thing with doing excel is that you can grow some of the foreground plants that you typically can't in lowtech tanks, such as Hairgrass, Glosso and HC. I think either HC or GLosso can grow in a low-tech tank but it usually grows longer instead of along the surface in non carbon supplemented tanks.

However if you want the least hassles then yes, non excel, low tech cannot be beaten. Just make sure you plant very heavily if you're not doing water changes and that the plants are all healthy and growing before you stop with the WCs. Btw, Anubias Coffefolia and Java Ferns make an amazing combination in low-tech tanks (as do Vals).

#26 Buho

Buho

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:13 PM

Thank you very much for the advice. I will get the stand for the tank in 2 weeks and then i'll proceed with the non co2 + excel method after some cycling. Thanks a lot for the response again. One other concern, Should i cycle the tank a bit before adding the plants? or can i plant right away?

#27 Orion

Orion

Super-Delta

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Betta Count:9
  • Total Fish Count:12
  • Statement:Life is a box of chocolates

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

You can definitely add the plants in right away (unless you use Aquasoil Amazonia by ADA as a substrate). They will be fine and will do well. I'd just wait to put in fish till after you have a lot of plants that are healthy/established and growing.

Cheers

#28 nusdogg

nusdogg

Wild Type

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:Google

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:37 PM

Awesome tank setups.

#29 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Statement:If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

Great post!

I didn't know Excel was light sensitive. I wish I'd known that before... I put all my supplements in transpasent soft-soap dispensers (I grew tired of measuring 1/4 and 1/3 of bottle caps. Now one push = 1ml, much easier this way!)

So how exactly does light affect Excel? It's been in a clear bottle for about 1 month now, is it still any good or do I need to change it?
What about other supplements? Are they affected by light as well? I also use Flourish, Flourish Iron, and Flourish Potassium.

#30 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Statement:If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:22 AM

I asked Seachem about Flourish Excel and light sensitivity. I was astonished to recieve an answer after little more than 1 hour!

Hello,
UV light can potentially break Flourish Excel down to a certain degree. So, if you were to store the Excel in this type of container under direct sunlight for an extended period of time, there would be an issue with the product's efficacy. However, if you are planning on storing the product in this type of container and putting it under the tank stand, there should not be any issue. The other products should be fine as well. Please let us know if we can assist you further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq