ExplodingTeeth

A jackal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:11
  • Referred By:teh Kibbster
  • Statement:Let me sleep and not wake up...

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:30 PM

So, I was sitting around one day pretty bored and decided to make a canister filter. I had the tools and just needed a few more things. So I went out and grabbed myself a submersible pump, some bio-matrix media and about 10' of 1/2" tubing. That was last Friday.

Simple enough? Not really..

First attempt (Friday to yesterday): Silicone seals and a half-assed job due to me not wanting to cut the power cable and rewire it after threading it through the top. They failed of course due to not bonding properly with the canister and joints.

Second attempt (yesterday night): Got an identical canister, properly cut the electrical cable and drilled the holes and I fitted the joints in as snug as possible. Melted the joints and canister together with a soldering iron and proceeded to give it a light coat of contact cement to make sure it was air tight. Let all of that dry and tested it... Nope, didn't work. Joints broke off of their fused plastic seal.

Third attempt will be today. Today I'm going out to get some hose barbs, material for a PVC canister and PVC solvent to bond it all together. If all goes well, the canister filter will be as follows:

Pump: 80-150GPH submersible pump
Media: Round filter sponge on top, rest of the space will be about 250-300g of Fluval bio-matrix media.
Canister: Unknown size ATM, will be made out of PVC bonded by PVC solvent
Hoses: 10' of translucent hose, 5' each hose for intake and outtake attached to hose barbs and held with stainless steel hose clamps.

The tank this is going for is... A ten gallon. Yeah, so as you can tell... This project is mainly to keep me occupied for a while due to immense boredom. Also because I greatly dislike the HOB filter that I have right now. I think I might find a little bit more media to use with the canister though, something along the lines of a pre-filter, fine sponge or a bit of carbon. Luckily, I haven't spent too much on this so far. If made properly the first time, it would have been pretty cheap.

Guh, I feel so light headed being in this room. From the fumes that were given off from the contact cement and the silicone that is. I think I'll go to the hardware store now or within an hour.

#2 liama138

liama138

Alpha Betta

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

Hmmm... keep us updated.

I have a submersible pump and a supply of pvc.....
whistle1.gif

#3 ExplodingTeeth

ExplodingTeeth

A jackal

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:16 PM

Well, I went out and got some ABS piping. It's 4" in diameter, haven't measured the length. Current has a threaded end cap and a non-threaded cap on both ends. I just spent a half hour drilling through it to make a hole for the out-take.

To do:

Intake - Done
Power - Mostly done, just need to reconnect the cable
Final sealing with silicone - All sealed, just waiting for the silicone to cure.
Leak test
Fill

Pictures of it so far:

Yeah, it's kind of a little bit bigger than the first try. Only by twice as big... Or three times.

Edited by ExplodingTeeth, 19 March 2008 - 06:31 PM.

#4 ExplodingTeeth

ExplodingTeeth

A jackal

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:34 PM

So. I don't even know how to explain how accomplished and happy I feel right now. I just leak tested the filter and it leaked about a tablespoon in fifteen minutes. At the hose barb that was loose without a steel clamp. All the sealed holes and joints held perfectly and didn't leak a drop. The filter pushes out and takes in a good amount of water that wont create too much current but still works well. So, I'm very very happy right now.

Counting in resistance of the filter material and that the pump isn't all too strong (nor intended to push water up 5' of tubing against gravity) I think it should work pretty well. The final specifications are as follows:

Height - 10"
Diameter - 4"
Volume - 2l
Pump GPH (Not with resistance) - 150gph
Media - 500g of bio matrix & 2 pieces of foam that come to 2.5" thick with 4" diameter

All that's left to do now is put a steel clamp on the intake hose barb to stop that leak, then do a final seal over everything with silicone.

So satisfied with myself.. dance2.gif

#5 Orion

Orion

Super-Delta

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Betta Count:9
  • Total Fish Count:12
  • Statement:Life is a box of chocolates

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

Great job! I wish I had the tools and the knowledge to make stuff on my own. I have the knack of trying to fix/make things on my own, but I've never learned to use any tools beyond a hammer and screwdrivers smile1.gif.

#6 ExplodingTeeth

ExplodingTeeth

A jackal

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

Didn't really require many tools or knowledge. As far as tools goes.. A drill, fornster bit and a hammer. Other than that I used ABS solvent and silicone for the seals. It was so much fun making it though. :]

Although a bit frustrating. ;]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq