• Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:43
  • Referred By:Aqua Rank
  • Statement:im sexy

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:44 AM

African Butterfly Fish
Pantodon buchholzi

Care and feeding:
Since they are carnivores, the Butterflyfish, African Butterflyfish, or Freshwater Butterflyfish will eat all types of protein foods. They especially like live insects. Feed flies, mosquito larvae, small spiders, worms, small fish and large flake food. We have had good success feeding them small crickets!

Distribution:
The Butterflyfish, African Butterflyfish, or Freshwater Butterflyfish are found in West Africa, Nigeria, Cameroons, Zaire.

Size - Weight:
These fish generally get up to 4 inches (10 cm) in the aquarium. Most of the Butterflyfish that we have seen are full grown or close to it.

Social Behaviors:
They are generally a good community fish although they may eat small fish.

Sexual Differences:
The male is slimmer than the female, though that is hard to distinquish unless the female is fat due to carrying eggs. The rear edge of the anal fin of the male describes a convex curve and the fin rays form a tube (which is the genital organ). The rear edge of the female anal fin is straight.

Water Region: Top, Middle, Bottom:
These fish will swim in the top of the aquarium. It is best to keep it with other fish that swim in the middle or bottom of the aquarium.

Acceptable Water Conditions:
Hardness: 8-12 dGH
Ph: 6.5 to 7.0
Temp: 77-82 F (25-28 C)

Breeding/Reproduction:
Water conditions: The values given above were taken from the recommended breeding conditions.
These fish are rather difficult to breed and peat filtration is recommended. Feed a pair with a large variety of live foods to induce spawning. Once spawning begins, 3 to 7 eggs will be produced at each pass. The eggs will float to the surface where you can use a spoon to transfer them to another aquarium. The pairing will continue for some time with a total of 80 to 200 eggs dropped per day. The eggs will hatch in about 36 hours. The fry are difficult to raise as they will only eat foods that float directly in front of their mouths. Some ideas on what to feed them can be found in Live Fish Foods, Foods for fish fry.

My Experience
I have kept one for about a month now. He eats krill and Hakari bio gold and cichlid gold. He does not jump and does not mess with my fish. Very boring.

Edited by Kuli_Loach, 10 March 2008 - 05:46 AM.

#2 Palor

Palor

The Enabler....Buy a gecko :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,460 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:I wandered in on my own
  • Statement:I am not addicted!

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:42 AM

They are social fish, perhaps keeping just 1 is the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq