Zebra Danios

© Copyright 2005 - 2007 Pete Cottle

Scientific name: Danio rerio

Common names: Zebrafish, Zebra Danio

Origin:South East Asia

Adult size: 2 inches (5cm)

Average Lifespan: 5 years

Minimum Tank size: 10 gallons

Good Tankmates: Tetras, Barbs, Guppies, Mollies, and most other fast moving small fish. They may nip at slow moving longer finned fish if not kept in a group of six or more of their own kind. And since they are top dwellers any bottom dwellers, such as corydoras or otos, that won't eat them would also be fine.

Zebra Danios with Tiger Barbs

Zebra Danio Variations
The following are just a few variations of Danio rerio. Others include Leopard Danios and Albino or Golden Leopard Danios.

Longfin Zebra Danios:

©2007 PETCO Animal Supplies, Inc.

Albino or Golden Zebra Danios:

© Animal World
Genetically altered danios called Glofish

© www.glofish.com

Breeding Zebra Danios

1. Move prospective female to a separate breeding tank (6-10 gallon will be fine for now) with spawning mops and an established sponge filter. You'll need to use acrylic yarn and you'll need 10-20 spawning mops. The key is for the eggs to land in the tangle of the spawning media in order to prevent the parents from eating them. This is a spawning mop:

2.Put the male in with the female after a day of her becoming acclimated. Acclimate her slowly and completely, make sure she's not shocked by the temp or ph in the breeding tank. Try to put the breeding tank in a low traffic area (not too many people or pets around) to keep their stress down.
The tank should look like this:

3. The happier and better fed the pair is, the better they will breed. In order to condition them for optimum breeding they should be fed protein rich food such as bloodworms. This will also help stimulate egg production.

4. Be prepared to feed 50-100 tiny fry in a couple days. They will need to be fed after the first 24 hours of hatching. At this newly hatched state they can be fed golden pearls, spray dried krill, powdered spirulina, and other commercial fry foods such as Liquifry. In the best case scenario you will have been expecting fry ahead of time and be able to feed the fry live foods such as vinegar eels or microworms. After they are a few weeks old you can start them on finely crushed flake foods and newly hatched brine shrimp. It is also very important to keep their water clean and warm. Prevent them from getting chilled by keeping the tank between 75-80 degrees farenheit.

5. After a few more weeks I would move them into a bigger tank with more room so that they properly develop. You can use Rubbermaid totes or several of those plastic shoeboxes as grow out tanks if you have nothing else. Just make sure to keep them warm and well fed. You will need an established sponge filter for each grow out tank.

A few parting words:

This is a great little fish for beginners because they are very hardy and will withstand beginners' mistakes and less than perfect water conditions. There are so many beautiful variations and colors. One can find them in just about every pet shop that sells fish and at a relatively low price. Whether you've never owned fish or you've kept fish for years, it has been my experience that these are delightful fish to own.

Here's hoping you all have healthy fish!!!!

#2 groupiekilla06

groupiekilla06

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Betta Count:10
  • Total Fish Count:More than 10...
  • Statement:"Love me, pet me, but please don't ban me"- Pitbulls everywhere

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:56 PM

Can somebody move this to the fish profile section and pin it for me????

#3 Dibari

Dibari

Bloargh

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,527 posts
  • Betta Count:7
  • Total Fish Count:21 fish + lots of inverts.
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:Oh, the fish.. Oh the huge manitee!

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:53 PM

Done. smile1.gif

#4 groupiekilla06

groupiekilla06

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Betta Count:10
  • Total Fish Count:More than 10...
  • Statement:"Love me, pet me, but please don't ban me"- Pitbulls everywhere

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:32 AM