Cute Asian Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:3
  • Referred By:Ren

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:04 AM

hey guys, so far i've learned that it's a good idea to monitor your betta's pooping. but... i don't know what to look for!
what should the color be? shape/length of poop? frequency? any random helpful tidbits of information is appreciated. thumb5.gif

ps. "poop", although more crude, sounds better than "defecate". i hope this doesn't make me immature. (probably does.) lol2.gif

#2 Red_Rose

Red_Rose

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Total Fish Count:8

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (mr.kelvin.chan @ Jan 2 2008, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey guys, so far i've learned that it's a good idea to monitor your betta's pooping. but... i don't know what to look for!
what should the color be? shape/length of poop? frequency? any random helpful tidbits of information is appreciated. thumb5.gif

ps. "poop", although more crude, sounds better than "defecate". i hope this doesn't make me immature. (probably does.) lol2.gif

A betta's poop will be solid and it's usually a reddish color but it depends on the food you give to them. For example, I feed my boy Hikari's Micro pellets and one day, I just fed him the vitamin pellets(the yellow ones) and his poop was the color of the pellets and I remember one time I noticed that his poop was a dark grey(almost black) and I was wondering how it could be that color but later on I realized that it was because he ate one of the pond snails in his home and their bodies are a dark grey color. lol

If the poop is white and/or stringy then that's a good indication that your betta has internal parasites. If you feed your bettas peas then expect it to look a whitish-green color.

Saying poop doesn't make you sound immature at all. A lot of people on this forum say poop instead of defecate or feces. smile1.gif

#3 deadwarhol

deadwarhol

House Cat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:And a kitty!
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:Love as thou wilt, and harm none...

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:45 PM

Goodness.... If I had only found the poop thread sooner, I may have spared everyone the picture of Luren making doo-doo. It's little wonder he got kind of cranky, with me snapping pictures and shining a flashlight at him while all he wanted to do is take a crap in peace...

Where's an uber-dork smiley when you need one?

#4 eminatic

eminatic

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:32 AM

the poop in my betta's cup when i got him was black, and everything i've seen since then has been black...does that mean he's sick? also how often should they be going anyway? o_O

#5 Eudie

Eudie

1958-2010 RIP Baby

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,627 posts
  • Betta Count:Who knows?
  • Total Fish Count:See Above
  • Referred By:In the beginning . . .
  • Statement:Don't be so open-minded; your brains will fall out.

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:32 AM

They are like people, it's going to depend on what he eats and how active he is and his own digestive system as to the color, amount and regularity. As long as you know he's going and he's not bloated, swelling or having problems swimming, he's doing fine. I don't really worry about the poo being dark, I really only worry when it's very light and lumpy or stringy.

Here ya' go deadwarhol bonkers.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq