41 replies to this topic

#1 SnowBear

SnowBear

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:59 PM

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, just signed up, and I'm looking for an answer as to what's the thing on the top of my betta's head.
It appeared some days ago and I initially thought it'd go away or something but it didn't. It's growing, slowly, but it is.
I thought it could be fungus but it's not exactly 'cottony' as I read fungus usually are. It's as if his scales have gone white-ish. Sort of what happens when an animal is shedding (I keep thinking of my turtle, for instance. It's as if the skin is loose on that part where the spot is).

I decided to take some photos in order to find the proper treatment for my little guy.
I hope someone can help me. Even though I have him for some time now, I'm still rather unexperienced.

Also wanna apologize for the size of the photos. Some are larger in order to allow better viewing of his... thing.
rolleyes12.gif

I hope someone can help me out. I've had enough of a hard time recently. Less than a month ago I've had my family growing smaller as my hamster passed out. That's enough for me, at least for a month haha.

Thank you very much in advance.

EDIT: Oh, as for his behavior, he seems fine. Actually, recently I've put some rocks on his aquarium and he seems to be loving it. If I put a mirror up he's all feisty and he's eating normally. Whenever I come close to the aquarium he starts jumping.

Edited by SnowBear, 24 November 2007 - 03:08 PM.

#2 liama138

liama138

Alpha Betta

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:19 PM

I don't know if its just his scales. The 3rd picture down looks like it has a bit of thickness to it, like its sitting on the scales. I think it could be cloumnaris.
Here's a link to that topic:
cloumnaris thread

Good luck, he's adorable.

#3 SnowBear

SnowBear

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:43 PM

Hi Sarah.

Before deciding to post this thread I actually came across the columnaris treatment sheet and thought it could be it, but what made me doubt it was the fact the description talks about "stringy white, grey, or off-white "wool" and it mentions a "substance". What Sashimi presents, and that's why I mentioned it, it's as if his skin was 'loose'. You know?

But I guess treating him for columnaris couldn't hurt, right?

My problem is, what sort of antibiotic should I look for? I read about Maracyn, but thing is, I live in Brazil, in a small town, and I seriously doubt I'll find that around here. Usually I find Tetra's products. Do they have any that could help my baby out?

Thanks again.
smile1.gif

#4 Pam S

Pam S

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts
  • Betta Count:60 or so
  • Referred By:Yahoo search

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:57 PM

Snowbear,

Here is another website with other treatment chemicals you might be able to find:

http://www.americana...Columnaris.html

I am not familiar with Tetramin products ...I will search the Internet.. But I thought they were mostly food.

Do you have Jungle Products ? They are usually in small somewhat flat boxes.

Another company that handles fish products is Mardel.

Pam

#5 SnowBear

SnowBear

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:18 PM

Hi Pam.

I didn't get to read the website entirely, but I can say, what Sashimi has is not at all that 'cottony', as the first photo shoes, for instance. It's basically flat on his 'skin'. I'll try to take additional photos soon. If my compact camera helps... smile1.gif

In scientifical terms, his spot is a hyporchromic plain spot (my husband is a physician. He has idea how to treat fishes, tho). The color tone of his spot is more like the 2nd and 3rd photos down. The other ones make it look too much whiter than it actually is.

As for Tetra, here's the product I have bought to condition his water:
http://www.tetra-fis.../...276&cid=870
I usually try to keep his water's ph around 7.

As for Jungle Products, I can't quite remember but I'm writing down names as I plan a little trip to the fish store soon to see if I can find something that could help him out.

#6 Pam S

Pam S

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts
  • Betta Count:60 or so
  • Referred By:Yahoo search

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:23 PM

Snowbear,

There are two parts to that article. One is for the bacteria the other is for the fungus.

The chemicals for the bacterial disease called Columnaris is first.

Then the chemicals for the fungus is second.

Pam

I do not see a listing for health treatments for fish on the Tetramin site. Maybe I have missed it.

#7 SnowBear

SnowBear

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

Pam, you are right, Tetra only seems to have preventive products.

But thing is, I could probably get one of those antibiotics specially made for my fish at any pharmacy (manipulation pharmacy, it's called in Brazil). My worry now is to make sure what he has is indeed columnaris. This bacteria, from what I saw both on the website and on Google looks, and forgive my comparison, as if the fish swam through a cotton ball and got some of it stuck on its body.
Sort of like this:
http://www.petfish.n...columnaris1.jpg

Can it also present itself very flat and smooth?
I'm attaching some more pics I took tonight. He was sleepy so he wasn't moving as much.

I apologize for the huge size. It was intended to be able to show it very well.

By the way, could he possibly look any crankier?
:-D

#8 liama138

liama138

Alpha Betta

• Elite Member
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:32 PM

Snowbear,
After looking at your second round of pictures, I agree, it does look flat and not puffy like columnaris.
I was thinking it could be Hexamita, or hole in the head, which I don't think is common in bettas, and I found this thread.
The "White Spot on the Head" Disease, Owners who encountered this, please look.

There wasn't a resolution to what it actually was, but it sounds more like what you describe.

Sarah

#9 SnowBear

SnowBear

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:01 PM

Wow, that threat starts very hopeful hahaha.

Thing is, he's had this spot for quite some time now. At LEAST a week. Initially I thought it could be nothing but it grew larger.
The threat mentions quick death, so maybe (I'm hoping).

I'll google some more, it might help me find something out.

Gosh, having fish is a tad more complicated than I initially thought. At least when you care.
smile1.gif

#10 SnowBear

SnowBear

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:17 PM

Here's what I found about hole in the head:

http://www.ultimateb...mp;hl=hole head

I think it looks a bit different from what Sashimi has...
What do you think?

#11 andywoolloo

andywoolloo

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 2,108 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:20
  • Referred By:www.tetra-fish.com/forums

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:25 PM

scroll down to fungal disease, it kinda looks like ur pic a little? scratchhead1.gif altho ur boy has only one spot.

fungal infection

Edited by andywoolloo, 24 November 2007 - 08:26 PM.

#12 SnowBear

SnowBear

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

Hi Patty.

Yeah, he only has one spot. Plus, on this photo, can you see how the white spot seems to follow the pattern of his scales?
http://i242.photobuc...arPhotos/f3.jpg
I don't know if that's supposed to mean something, but maybe it does...
smile1.gif

So confusing.

Edited by SnowBear, 24 November 2007 - 08:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq