• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cid_*

Guest_Cid_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:18 PM

Short simple answer is... YES!

"but i age my water overnight..."

Well... that might evaporate the chlorines...but there are still metals and chloramines in the water that can might or will kill your fish

"But i use a bubbler and only cold water...."

Still, personally... i wouldnt want to chance it. I honestly dont know if you will rid chloramines (sp) but i'd rather take the safe and not sorry route.

"I have well water, i dont need a declor"

That one.... I am not 100% sure of and i invite members to discuss it. I know there will not be chlorine, but maybe metals....PH might be funny

"I dont have chlorine in my water"

Well... maybe not enough to be an issue... I'be done a water change and forgot to condition. Nothing happened. But one of those days your city witll have a water main break, or do a flush and just flood your system with extra chlorine.. ......Like today, i usually never smell chlorine in the tap water.. but today it just reaks of it.

"what type of Conditioner do you use?"

Me personally, i use the one made by hagen. Aqua safe i think it is... It nutralizes the baddies in the water and also aids in producing a better slime coat.
Another good one is prime, suposed to better as well but i havent had the chance to try it myself...

So.... what reasons have you guys heard for not conditioning the water? Why do you think you need to use it? Why not??

This will be a friendly debate...if it cannot stay within those bounds i will close the thread

#2 Sicy

Sicy

Sassy Sicilian

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Referred By:elise

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:38 AM

Does it specifically have to be 'betta' conditioner? That's the one I grabbed at Petsmart.. I think it is Top Fin?

#3 Guest_Cid_*

Guest_Cid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:43 AM

Nope it definatly does not have to be :) Thats just a way they get more $$$ outta ya :D LOL

I use the Aquaplus stuff and its great for me :)

#4 nativecollector

nativecollector

jack of all trades - master of none

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Betta Count:100+
  • Total Fish Count:Still counting

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:14 AM

when using water from the faucet be it well water or city/county water it should be conditioned. I dont think that should be a question to even consider asking.
I used to use r/o water and I still added a conditioner that added the slime coat builder. The only water that I dont think I would condition would be rain water, and that is only if you know that there are no baddies in it. I live far enough out in the country that I would have though it would be ok, but the country has crops that grow in it and guess what they use to help them grow. So it really depends on when it rains and when they have fertilized the crops, if I condition the water or if I use it at all.

#5 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:59 AM

R/O water is not suggested for use since it lacks all of the vital trace minerals fish need, has lousy buffering capacity, and tends to be low oxygen as well. A "pure" water - that is, water with everything removed but pure H20 - is generally a poor choice for fishkeeping.

Just in relation to this topic, well water still needs water conditioner! Plenty of not-so-healthy stuff goes in to your well water if you have a water softening system. And many people with wells use Chlorine anyways since wells can easily be contaminated by nearby septic systems. Just something to keep in mind.

#6 nativecollector

nativecollector

jack of all trades - master of none

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Betta Count:100+
  • Total Fish Count:Still counting

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:16 AM

I tend to disagree with the r/o water thing. I know it removes everything from the water but it really is not a bad choice for fish water. It does however take some conditioning to use it. When using water for bettas and other soft acidic water loving fish you do not want it to have any kind of buffering capacity or else you will have a rather high pH. On the other hand you dont want it to become to acidic either. That is where the conditioning comes into play. It doesn't take much to get r/o water to stabalize but it takes a little time to work with it.

I will be setting up a r/o system in the near future to use for my new fish room. I plan on getting the process on digi film (lol) and I will post the pics. I am also working on the plans for a dew catcher to see how that works out.

Besides if r/o water was really all that bad for fish then why do people use it at all in the trade/hobby.

#7 Beyondanytherapy

Beyondanytherapy

Hello, sexy.

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:6
  • Referred By:Draco
  • Statement:"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." ~ Futurama

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:18 AM

A good rule of thumb for me - Always use conditioner. That way, you're never concerned about if there's a problem or not. And honestly, it doesn't take that much effort. A little money, but aren't your fish worth it?

</ public service message>

Hehe, man I think I'm inhaling something funky today.. I'm all weird...

#8 Lucky_and_Comet

Lucky_and_Comet

Alpha Betta

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Referred By:Google search for Bettas

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

I use my conditioner all the time, I'd be too afraid not to.
Especially because the area I live in by the jersey shore is always reminding us that our bay is poluted and that it affects our water supply.

I've actually got this cool fish shaped conditioner that I picked up from petsmart.
It gets rid of all the icky stuff ages it and cures it for them (though I still leave the water out curing for hours because I'm so skeptical)

Each little fish shaped packet is good for up to 5 gallons, so of course it's good for me because I've got them in smaller areas.
And I just bought a new one so I've got another 5 gallons worth.

But once I start getting them into the big tank I'll probally get the boys a bigger water conditioner and use the little fish shaped bottle for the female I plan on getting in her gallon bowl.

#9 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

• Administrator
  • 10,480 posts
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:46 AM

Besides if r/o water was really all that bad for fish then why do people use it at all in the trade/hobby.

The fact that something is used or that it occurs is not an indication that it is safe or ideal; a great deal of the fish trade/hobby is inhumane, unethical, uneducated, and ignorant. Not saying that using RO water is at all comparable to say, goldfish bowls or dyed fish. Just pointing out that the existance - or even prevalance - of something in the hobby doesn't mean it is safe or good.
Petco, for example, uses distilled water on all of its bettas. I can't help but wonder if this doesn't explain the high die-off rate in the females especially, since they aren't getting from the water any of the minerals they need, and the diet in the store is very poor.
I suppose the use of RO water is a personal thing, but I've found very few sites that reccomend pure water, especially due to the issue of trace minerals. That, and where in nature does any fish live in pure H20? I suppose if you want to take the time and effort to make it appropriate for fish again, that is your choice. But I felt the need to comment on it since many people are not aware that "as is" it is unsafe for long term keeping due to the lack of trace minerals, poor buffering capacity, and low oxygen content.

#10 Sicy

Sicy

Sassy Sicilian

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Referred By:elise

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:56 AM

Nope it definatly does not have to be :) Thats just a way they get more $$$ outta ya :D LOL

I use the Aquaplus stuff and its great for me :)

I think I saw the aqua plus but the measurements are like for 5 - 10 gallon tanks, and mine is only 2 gallons. How do you measure it ?
I dont want to end up putting the wrong amount, so I got the 'betta conditioner' that gives measurements for 1 gallon. (then just double. )

#11 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

• Administrator
  • 10,480 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:23 PM

Do you have a 1mL syringe? Most water conditioners are 5ml (1 tsp)/10g, so if you have a 1mL syringe, you could easily dose for 1 and 2 gallon tanks.

#12 Saucy

Saucy

Spread the love

• Super Moderator
  • 10,833 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:TONS
  • Referred By:BettaMomma!!
  • Statement:"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~ Gandhi

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:10 PM

Actually Petco doesn't use distilled water on their bettas... Mine uses water that runs through a dechlor filter. That's it. The water is still really hard and the pH is stable. Heck if corporate would pay to get us bottled or something.

About the RO. If you're going to use it, you need to get additives. Most of the people who use it are salt-water fish owners. They mix it with the salt and get the perfect water they need. I have an RO system at my house, empty my tank into a 5-gallon bottle and add Kent's R/O Right. It's really not good to use it straight unless you're mixing it with tap. I've never heard of someone using it pure...

Back to the topic though, I don't use conditioners because of my R/O system. No need to. Betta-specific water conditioners are a waste of money. They're just watered down versions of the real thing. No need to waste your money.
  • LilGreenPuffer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq