No replies to this topic

#1 MCHRKiller

MCHRKiller

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:26 AM

Names: Common-Silver Scat,Silver Butterfish: Scientific:Selenotoca multifasciata
Area of origin: New Guinea
Min/Max Tank Size: 50gallons/i doubt you could get one thats to large
Suggested Care Level: Moderate
Water conditions: pH-7.2-8.5, temp-76-82*F, SG-1.005-1.025
Diet: Omnivore, a good comercial pellet with the addition of frozen things such as krill and some good fresh veggies such as deshelled peas
Temperment: Peaceful, but sometimes boisterous amongst its own kind
Suggested tank mates: other brackish water fish
Breeding: not in captivity to my knowledge

Personal observations, Advice:

Ive kept these fish for the last 3 years, they are often sold as a FW fish.They should be kept in mildly brackish water as juveniles and progressed to marine or near marine conditions at adult hood. They tollerate a very wide range of water conditions and foods. They are a very hardy fish when given descent conditions. They are armed with venomous spines along their dorsal fin so caution should be taken when dealing with them. They are peaceful fish but will sometimes develope a pecking order amongst themselves. I havent seen a food item that the butters wouldnt devour. They do grow up to 10" so a tank of at least 50gallons is required. They generally prefer a tank with a decent amount of decor as they can sometimes be skittish expecially in a high traffic location. But most of the time they are rather petlike and will feed from their owners hand. They also appreciate a decent current threwout their tank, and since they are messy eaters a good filtration system is needed such as a canister filter and a couple of powerheads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq