• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Betta Count:10
  • Total Fish Count:24

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:01 AM

Names: Green Spotted Puffer, GSP
Area of origin: South East Asia
Min/Max Tank Size: 30 gallon per fish (2 fish=60gallons)
Suggested Care Level: Difficult
Water conditions: SG 1.015-1.022, Temp 73-80F, PH 7.0-8.3
Diet: hard shelled foods like clams, mussels, ghost shrimp, crabs, and especially small snails
Temperament: Aggressive
Suggested tank mates: none
Breeding: nothing is known on breeding or sexing

Personal observations, Advice:
Green Spotted Puffers are fascinating, personable, lovely creatures. Owning one is a truly rewarding experience. With the proper care these fish can live 20+ years and grow to 6.5".
Unfortunately there is still a lot of misinformation about puffers, and these fish are often wrongly being labeled as a freshwater fish. When very small green spotted puffers can survive in freshwater, but once they grow more than 1.5-2" they need to be acclimated to brackish water (with an s.g. of about 1.008-1.0016), and when they're over 4.5" it's best to keep them at an s.g of 1.016-1.022 (or full marine conditions).
Green Spotted Puffers are an extremely dirty fish. They're very messy eaters and leave scraps of food throughout the aquarium. They also produce a large amount of ammonia. Because of this it is best to give 30gallons of space per fish. If you plan on adding more than one green spotted puffer you may want to give 40gallons per fish due to their extremely aggressive behavior.
The aggressive behavior of GSPs makes it difficult to keep them with tank mates. Similar sized puffers, certain clownfish, and a few other similar sized semi-aggressive marine fish can be successfully kept with GSPs, as long as there is enough tank space and plenty of hiding spaces.
The intelligence of puffers is rivaled by few other fish. They learn very quickly who feeds them and will happily swim to the front of the tank hoping for something to eat. Because of their high intelligence they need to have plenty of decor and broken lines of site to keep them interested. Bored puffers will often pace at the front of the glass.
The most expensive part about Green Spotted Puffers (besides the initial set up) is the food. Like rodents, they have large teeth that continue to grow throughout their lives. To wear down their teeth they need a steady diet of hard meaty foods such as: scallops, oysters, clams, crabs, crayfish, and especially snails. Freezedried foods or krill is not a sufficient diet and should only be given occasionally as a treat.

More on Green Spotted Puffers:
GreenSpottedPuffer.NET
The Puffer Forum's PufferPedia

(Article updated: May 10, 2008)

Edited by zombiefetus, 10 May 2008 - 11:25 AM.

• LilGreenPuffer likes this

#2 katsrevenge

katsrevenge

Queen Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:Some
  • Referred By:your mom
  • Statement:“The need to be right is the sign of a vulgar mind.” Camus

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:17 PM

Huh. Walmart sells these. :/

Nice info, and a cute evil fish!

#3 zombiefetus

zombiefetus

Cephalopod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Betta Count:10
  • Total Fish Count:24

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

I updated my info a bit and added a link to my new GSP website. smile-222.gif

#4 Palor

Palor

The Enabler....Buy a gecko :)

• 4,460 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:I wandered in on my own
  • Statement:I am not addicted!

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

Puffers are really a rewarding species of fish to keep. one day i will stop being lazy and write up something for the Amazon Puffers.

#5 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:23 AM

I was thinking about writing up a profile for these, but there's one here already! Very nicely done, yay! Here's an additional resource, for those interested in their temperament/personality and so on: http://www.thepuffer...potted-puffers/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq