billybob

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Betta Count:2

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:00 PM

Hi,

I'll do my best to explain. I just discovered the bubble/cyst on my betta today and don't have the capability to upload pictures right now.

Betta's condition:
clear bubble/cyst-like thing on the "ring" around the eye. it's not on the eye but very close. It also looks like there's a blood bubble either in it or on the clear bubble.

Not sure on water parameters right now. I did a 100% water change on Friday (9/21/07).
water temp at 78 degrees
water a bit on hard side.
treated with wardley's Chlor Out

Betta is active and has a great appetite. He made a huge bubble nest over the weekend. No signs of distress. Swimming around normal. Happy as usual. Just that bubble near his eye.

I had a picture of him on my computer and added a "red" dot to show you where the bubble is located.

Note: Not actual picture of his current condition.

EDIT:
Here are two pix I took with my camera phone but it's very hard to see. My RAZR doesn't take good pix.

The pix below shows the color of the pimple right next to his left eye.

The pix below shows the profile and you can see the pimple/blister like bump. it looks like it can burst. there's a very small red dot (blood maybe?) in the middle closer to the skin. The pimple itself is flesh/yellow color but the red dot in the middle makes it look orange.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm freakin' out right now!!!

Thanks.

Edited by billybob, 24 September 2007 - 03:10 PM.

#2 katsrevenge

katsrevenge

Queen Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts
  • Total Fish Count:Some
  • Referred By:your mom
  • Statement:“The need to be right is the sign of a vulgar mind.” Camus

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:32 PM

Hmmm.... I have no idea.. until someone comes along who does... I say medical dose of Aqua. salt (1/2 teaspoon to a gallon) just because it is a good place to start.

I'd GUESS that was a parasite of some kind. But I have no idea what else it could be..

Anyone else? unsure12.gif

#3 andywoolloo

andywoolloo

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:20
  • Referred By:www.tetra-fish.com/forums

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:53 AM

Hmmm..possible injury ? scratchhead1.gif I agree with the aquarium salt and keeping water spiffy clean... hmmm scratchhead1.gif

#4 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:06 AM

I've seen many posts like this, and they never seem to have a very consistent cause. I've seen parasites, bacteria, and injury alike result in little bubbles/cysts on bettas. The fact that it resembles a blood blister makes me lean towards injury or bacteria as parasites usually leave a clear or yellowed fluid sac. I suppose you could try lancing it, but 1/8tsp epsom salt per 5g might help draw fluid out... just keep a close eye and see how it develops, and keep us posted.

#5 billybob

billybob

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:12 PM

Update:

The yellow bubble with red dot in the middle was there when i got into the office this morning. It just popped/disappeared 30 mins ago! Now, it looks like a small cut or gash on the outer lining of the eye. It's not on the eye ball.

The cut is red. Not sure if eye ball is getting cloudy. No visible swelling.

He is still the same. Has a huge appetite, watches me work and works on his bubble nest. I'm wondering if he scraped his eye on his cave.

I'll change his water again with aquarium salt. Is aq salt different from epsom salt?
Because it looks like a cut, should I medicate him with anti-bacterial meds?

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm really puzzled as to what he may have!

P.S. i brought my camera to work so I'll take some pix and upload when i get home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq