• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:Not enough
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:I like you

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:49 AM

Hey!

I have been seeing a lot of guppy-fry related topics, and I thought I would share my (limited) knowledge.

"Doing the deed"

Its not hard at all to get guppies to mate, just stick some males and females together, people usually say you are supposed to have 1 male per 2 females, but I have had better sucess with an even number of males and females.

"One, Two, Three, PUSH!"

After your female guppy has "had fun", she will develop a black spot on her belly, these are the frys' eyes. She will slowly gain weight over the next few weeks, and one day, she will "pop". Right before she gives birth, the female will become lethargic, resting on plants and other things, at this time you should remove her and put her into a birthing tank. (I suggest a 10-gallon with sponge-filter). *Moving the mother may cause her to hold her babies for longer, do not worry, as she will calm down within a few days, and give birth. After she has given all her fry, move her back into the tank where she was before, don't worry about her eating her babies right away, during guppy birth and for a few hours after, the female will NOT be hungry. Its better to wait it out, and make sure she is done.

"Feedin' da babies"

Now this is the hard part-raising the babies. I feed my guppy fry finely crushed fish flakes, betta pellets, and turtle pellets (don't ask me why, but turtle pellets help them to grow faster and gain more color). After every feeding, remove ALL excess food, otherwise it will settle to the bottom and rot, for some reason guppy fry just wont eat offa' the bottom. I feed my fry 2-4 times a day. After about 2 months, the fry *should* be big enough to be put with adults.

Well, there ya' go, thats how I raise my fry.

#2 Bettas4me400

Bettas4me400

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

thanks

#3 ShmeaShmea

ShmeaShmea

Alpha Betta

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:dabettaclub on DeviantArt

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

When I had guppies, they didn't get special treatment, and still thrived haha. We just had them in a 30 gallon with lots of hiding places.

#4 Kelso

Kelso

Super-Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:11

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

The labor symptoms in guppies are usually some or all of the following: Darker gravid spot, hiding, being aggressive towards other guppies, extreme skittishness, wiggling or shimmying (contractions), arching their back, and eating nothing at all or everything in sight. Usually, when your guppies are about to give birth, the back of their stomach starts to square up and sometimes may look a little pinkish or reddish near the bottom -- That's the birth canal.

Like any fry, guppies grow best on BBS (Baby Brine Shrimp) and other live foods. I currently feed my guppy fry frozen BBS in the mornings and Hikari First Bites in the evening, although I'm planning on changing the evening meals to walter and micro worms once I receive them in the mail. After they're about 1 1/2 - 2 months old I slowly wean them by introducing them to flake food and frozen blood worms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq