#206 BettaChick303

BettaChick303

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:5
  • Statement:Fish are live creatures that feel sadness and pain-treat them that way!

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

Thank you so much for this article! I'll be setting up a sorority tank soon and if I hadn't read this I most likely would have put them in slowly (like 1 a week) and ended up with some unhappy little fishies.

#207 kbai868

kbai868

Insert Painfully Uncreative Title Here

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Betta Count:6
  • Total Fish Count:8
  • Statement:You now realize orange juice is actually yellow, not orange.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

Thanks so much to everyone for posting all this information! One of the main things I like about bettas, besides their almost puppy-like personalities, is that females aren't boring, unlike guppies (I still have a bunch of those little buggers, but stopped breeding them so they will eventually die out, after living out a healthy life of course.) The one thing I did like about guppies though, is that they are much more social. So when I learned that betta sororities are possible, my mind immediately started racing. But unfortunately, I still have a question left unanswered (maybe it was covered and I missed it, so if that is the case, I would greatly appreciate it if someone would answer it again. Sorry for causing any annoyance).

Ok, so I get the girls need to be put into the tank at the same time so no one decides to claim every square centimeter for herself, and that the tank needs hiding places, that I should have a few hospital tanks if things turn bloody, and some bettas will simply be bit...uh...female dogs...and there is nothing really I could do about that. But say the sorority works out peacefully after some initial hair (fin?) pulling. Is that in any way unhealthy for the bettas? In other words, are the girls only barely tolerating each other, and trudging through their lives unhappily and dealing with constant stress?

I would LOVE having a betta sorority (and rescuing 4 more girls in the process) in a 10 gallon tank, because it looks great, but only if there are no long term negative health consequences. I just don't think it is worth it to compromise a fish's health simply for the purpose of decorating a room. I have back up tanks if the sorority doesn't work out, but it would be nice to have just one tank instead of five. I only have so much space in my room (and electrical outlets, for all the bells and whistles betta tanks need) and I still need to live in it unfortunately (I know, how selfish of me). I just do not want to be lulled into a false sense of security thinking, "Oh, they aren't killing each other, so they MUST be happy and healthy!"

So, yes, my question again, is a functioning sorority unhealthy for the fish involved? Or will there be no major adverse effects? Thanks in advance!
(and of course, the tank will be heated, filtered, have an appropriate number of fish that will be fed regularly, etc)

#208 Gerbiee

Gerbiee

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Betta Count:Zero :(
  • Statement:Allons-y

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

Right now my girls seem happy enough in their tank. I have five girls in a 20 gallon along with some cories. When they aren't being pigs and begging for food they seem really content. They swim around, follow the cories, look for food, swim with each other, 'sleep', etc. I haven't seen any problems with them lately. Sometimes one of them still gets a nip on the tail but it seems to get less likely as they get settled in. In my experience my girls have all been some content little fishes.

#209 JCreazy

JCreazy

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Betta Count:0

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:08 AM

How many females would you recommend in a 29 gallon tank?

#210 Twofish

Twofish

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:11
  • Referred By:Aqua Sam

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

I have a similar experience as Gerbie. I have 4 and had to move one to a hospital tank but the rest are fine. It's a 29 g so I will be adding more in a second batch. I also have a small school of black phantom tetras and some cories to help distract the bettas from each other. They do not seem stressed at all. In fact they seem very content. I hope to add another batch of four soon, along with some more plastic plants for cover

#211 Federico

Federico

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

Nice article. I feel like trying again but my first and last try was painful. I put three female bettas that came from the same breed. There was no picking order, it was the two against the other. I added a lot of plants to the tank for them to hide. They calmed down a little but they kept attacking when I fed them. Eventually one of them got fungus in her tail and I put her in a hospital tank. She got better but later the other 2, in the 10g tank, got the same thing and ended up being columnaris. I couldn't save them. So I'm down to one female now. I don't think I would try this again...too much heartbreak.

#212 Taalita

Taalita

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Betta Count:2

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

I've loved the idea of a sorority since I first heard of it. I kept tetras mostly when I was younger, but over a year ago a roommate brought home a fish-friend for me and my love for fishkeeping has been rekindled. My Betta is in a 1G and my Plakat a 2.5G, I know the tanks are way too small for them to thrive, but their environments are kept clean. I'm preparing to buy a 20G tank and I've thought of adding my two current fish to it, but refuse to sacrifice either to each other. Then I remembered the sorority.

Is it possible to find a local pet store that keeps Betta together? Ideally, I'd like to introduce all of my females at once rather than "picking" who might be more or less aggressive and adding them consecutively. I can't effectively determine this trait if the fish are confined to cups, or is there possibly a way to judge aggression by eating habits? My little lady Amaryllis is a barracuda when she eats, so perhaps she could be an aggressor if added to a community tank?

Regardless, I'm still a long ways away from adding fish since I'm hoping to plant and cycle my tank first. Seven fish to 20 gallons, does that seem reasonable? I only browsed through the thread, I'll have to go back and reread the lot of it. I need all the help I can get. ^-^;;

#213 amethyst

amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

There is one locally owned store in my area which houses female bettas together with each other and other fish. I've also occasionally seen a male betta in a tank with other fish in a Petsmart or Petco, but I wouldn't necessarily trust that to be an indicator of the personality of the fish involved. I know that at least sometimes a customer will decide to "rescue" a betta from its tiny cup by dumping him or her into a tank of other fish, sometimes to the detriment of the betta and/or the other fish.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq