43 replies to this topic

#1 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:43 PM

bettafish4f.gifPimp My Tank! Contest #2bettafish4f.gif

The Concept:
The goal of this contest is to improve upon one of your fish tanks (betta or otherwise - sorry, no herps/rodents/etc.) as much as possible within a one-month period. Please keep in mind the comfort and welfare of your fish when re-doing your tanks, but go wild with new plants, gravel, ornaments, etc - whatever you choose. Your additions can be home-made or store bought, natural or artificial; there's a great deal of freedom here, so long as a noticeable change is made. Use your creativity to create a unique environment for your fish, then strut your stuff by showing off the before and after pictures!

The Rules:
1. Make sure nothing you do is going to hurt or stress your fish.
2. The fish and tank(s) should be yours (no looking up pics of tanks online and using them - that's cheating!).
3. You can only enhance the existing tank(s), not upgrade to a different tank (sorry guys; there were a lot of complaints about that last time).
4. Photos may not be doctored in any way (though doing something like "auto levels" in photoshop to preserve the true colors is fine).
5. You must submit a BEFORE and AFTER picture by the deadline! I was a little lenient last time - not this time! And please try to make the picture at least 350px wide, preferably more; less makes it hard for voters to see your tank if the picture is tiny!

The Duration:
You have one month to get your entries in; June 30th is the deadline. Voting begins more or less promptly on July 1st. Voting will continue for roughly two weeks.

For the Win:
The most dramatic improvement wins, based on votes from UltimateBetta's members.

Prizes:
First place recieves two silk plants - A 9" Rotala Serrate by PennPlax, and a 12" Tropical Fern by PennPlax.
Second place recieves one silk plant - a 12" Tropical Fern by PennPlax.
Third place recieves one silk plant - A 9" Rotala Serrate by PennPlax.
Please note that if you win but do not like these plants, they may be substituted for a silk plant of equal or lesser (sorry, I'm broke) value from aquariumguys.com. If the winner does not live in the US, an alternate prize of equal value will be negotiated from a company that ships within their country thumb5.gif
Added June 1st: Thanks to the generosity of dinger454 (steve), 1st place will now also receive a beautiful betta mousepad!

Start entering NOW by posting in this thread with a picture of the tank you are going to edit. Please make only one post, and edit it to add your after picture. If you want to save a spot, just make a post indicating that you will be participating. Good luck, and above all: HAVE FUN!

#2 Palor

Palor

The Enabler....Buy a gecko :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,460 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:I wandered in on my own
  • Statement:I am not addicted!

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:12 PM

Dang, I just overhauled 2 5g tanks to look wonderful. Bought new rocks, sand and plants for them last week. I'll be ready for next time.
Happy Pimping everyone lol2.gif

#3 I dislike penguins

I dislike penguins

Plakat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Referred By:Aquarank

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

Count me in! Will add a picture momentarily. (need to decide which tank to enter, and get a picture)

#4 nikitanain

nikitanain

Getting back to the basics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Statement:It takes 43 muscles to frown, but it takes 1 fish to make a smile :)

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:11 PM

hi guys this is my 75 gallon tank ....

before :

after:

#5 traceyleezle

traceyleezle

Halfsun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Betta Count:11...eeps!
  • Referred By:that guy on Sesame Street selling O's

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:43 PM

Sooo, I'm entering Handsome Hugo's 5g. I need the motivation to overhaul this thing anyway.

Before

After...ah, that's better, much much better.

Edited by traceyleezle, 16 June 2007 - 01:13 PM.

#6 elise

elise

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts
  • Betta Count:1

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:46 PM

I think I might actually give this a go. smile-222.gif My sorority tank looks like crap... been meaning to make it look nice for a while now. smile-222.gif

#7 kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic

It's too hard to hold hands when your hand's a fist.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Betta Count:0 - goodbye friends
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Statement:"I am part of all I have met." - Tennyson

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:31 AM

Hachiko started building such massive bubblenests after I pimped his tank up lol2.gif . . . I have to make a hole in the bubbles in order to feed him! rolleyes12.gif

Before: dry1.gif

NOW: thumb5.gif

#8 tinderblast

tinderblast

Betta hypochondriac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Referred By:livejournal

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:23 PM

Question - is a tank that's in the middle of cycling but almost ready for occupation eligible? It's not actually bare - it's been aquascaped (well, my lameass version thereoff coverlaugh1.gif ) and has a teeny bit of decor, it's just that the occupant isn't going in until next week. Right now the nitrifying bacteria are still setting up house!

If the answer is "no" (and I'm betting it will be), that's totally cool! I just figured that, hey, with only two tanks I won't get much opportunity to try this, so I might as well ask now, right?

#9 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:06 AM

The fact that you're being responsible and cycling a tank before adding its inhabitants is just plain awesome. Post it, pimp it, and good luck!

#10 sprwoman1

sprwoman1

Crowntail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:54 PM

ok, so now I need to decide which tank...

#11 abettaworld

abettaworld

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:03 PM

I've been seriously thinking about re-decorating some of my tanks. I think I'll enter my 25 gallon hex tank (sorority tank) for this competition. I plan to start on it tomorrow. Here's the before pic:

As you can see, it's cluttered, ugly, and needs a good scrubbing!

Here is the after picture:

Edited by abettaworld, 03 June 2007 - 08:24 AM.

#12 greytdobe

greytdobe

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Betta Count:less fish than dogs
  • Referred By:my rescue urges

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:54 PM

Ok, I'm I realized last night looking at photos that Pearl the plaket went thru a Home and Garden Remodel last month.

Here is Pearl the plaket- BEFORE when I first got him

Here he is this morning in the jungle all by himself. He was such a nosey boy, I moved him into the den so he could see us all day. He's the one who loves the dobermans!

AFTER: (notice the red wash baseball cap he's now sporting)

PS... I don't really need to take part in the contest.... just wanted to show the photos to everyone since I found them while cleaning emails. I can't even remember if I changed his tank size so hence I don't know if I can legally qualify. ( I always rotate folks around when I clean tanks since I've got so many empty ones and 99% aren't cycled) He's now in a cycled one so maybe next time we do the contest, i'll have made some changes and will enter for real.

Edited by greytdobe, 03 June 2007 - 02:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq