traceyleezle

Halfsun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Betta Count:11...eeps!
  • Referred By:that guy on Sesame Street selling O's

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

I am going crazy trying to cycle these gosh darn &$*%^@!#&*^#*% tanks....(breath deep, find a happy place) I keep hearing about Bio-Spira.

How does it work? Has anyone used it? So, you just poor it in, it cycles your tank and that's it? You don't have to use it again?

#2 rgw187

rgw187

Official Betta Pusher

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:Aqua Rank
  • Statement:Getting friends and family addicted to bettas since 1984

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:55 PM

You are not going to find a bigger advocate than myself.
http://www.marinelan...ence/nspira.asp
Link is to Marineland's Bio-Spira pages.Personaly I pour it directly into the filter.It is dormant,so will take 24 to 48 hrs to become active.In a tank that is already partialy cycled you will see some unusaul spikes.The one to really concentrate on is nitrates.It might take up to a week for things to settle out.As long as the fish act healthy and unstressed,don't worry.You cannot overdose with this stuff.It's a one shot application.The only time I"ve used it twice in one tank is when I switched substrata from gravel to sand,and the dose was to prevent a new minicycle.

Edited by rgw187, 16 April 2007 - 01:57 PM.

#3 Orion

Orion

Super-Delta

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Betta Count:9
  • Total Fish Count:12
  • Statement:Life is a box of chocolates

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:54 AM

Here is a very useful forum discussion on Bio-Spira.

http://www.aquaria.i...p...asc&start=0

I found it to be very useful and informative. I just used some Bio-Spira yesterday...lets see how my tank cycles.

#4 Stacy

Stacy

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts
  • Betta Count:2 Splendens
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:Azathoth
  • Statement:Souls for eats?

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

I used bio spira in order to quickly cycle a ten gallon tank I have, as I did not have time to do a normal fishless cycle. It did indeed cycle the tank quickly. It was not instantaneous, I found. I tested the water twice a day. I found there was a small amount of ammonia, and then a small amount of nitrite. In essence, it caused a mini cycle, which is MUCH better than a full blown cycle! I recommend it, just make sure to keep a close eye on water parameters still.

You add it with the fish. If you add it to the water without fish, or a source of ammonia, the bacteria will not take hold. They need the ammonia to survive. You shouldn't have to use it again (especially at 10-15$ a pop!). Good luck!

#5 Saucy

Saucy

Spread the love

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,833 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:TONS
  • Referred By:BettaMomma!!
  • Statement:"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~ Gandhi

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:36 PM

I definitely agree. It works great and does take about 3 days to fully stablize. But you do need something to keep ammonia going while it does it's job. Most fish can handle the mini-cycle it creates with no problem. It's way worth the $15 it costs to cycle a tank in less than 6-8 weeks.

#6 Alanna

Alanna

Aran, my sexy new boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • Betta Count:18.
  • Total Fish Count:18.
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:Ghost Shrimp are one of the only good male betta tankmates. REPEAT AFTER ME!

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:59 PM

I use Bio-Spira and the other similar products that other companies have created to cash in on the idea of "faster cycling". I think it's one of the major reasons I've never had a tank crash or had anything drastic happen as a result of never actually cycling a tank. I do water changes on top of the bacteria supplement, so you've got another advocate ^^.

#7 tinderblast

tinderblast

Betta hypochondriac

• Members
  • 962 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:livejournal

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:00 AM

I have a Bio-Spira alternative in my fridge right now, and I love it! It's not just useful for starting a tank, but as a back-up in case your cycle crashes or you need to move something around. (Mine keeps for a year - I think Bio-Spira is one-time only, isn't it?)

I still think knowing how to fishless cycle is a good skill, mind you, but there are instances when you and the fish just don't have that time...

#8 Eudie

Eudie

1958-2010 RIP Baby

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,627 posts
  • Betta Count:Who knows?
  • Total Fish Count:See Above
  • Referred By:In the beginning . . .
  • Statement:Don't be so open-minded; your brains will fall out.

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:24 AM

I'm going to pin this for easier reference. I'm always talking about it and it would be nice to be able to find this information with the links and reviews fo pass along. smile1.gif

#9 owenj

owenj

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

I used Bio-Spira to jump start my fishless cycle on my goldfish tank. It definitely does not instantly cycle a tank, but I agree that it can cut the time down dramatically. I think one of the reasons it is so hit or miss for people is because it needs to be refrigerated to remain effective. If you order it online, it must be overnighted w/a cold pack, otherwise it's worthless.

#10 kingmed

kingmed

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

I hear they came out with a different way of starting a cycle called one and only nitrifying bacteria that doesn't need to be refrigerated at all. I've also heard that they were going to take bio-spira off the market? and substitute with "one and only nitrifying bacteria", it's suppose to work just as good as bio-spira.

#11 Jeremy

Jeremy

HardGay's here to save the day!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Betta Count:a crap-load
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:Srs bsns.

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

I have heard this as well. They are re-releasing a new version of bio spira with a new name that does not require refrigeration. Said it had to do with costs of overnight shipping and packaging materials. We will see I guess.

I was reading a discussion on AquariaCentral and it seems that the scientist who invented Bio-Spira and the new Product 'One and Only' has moved away from Marineland???

This is the info on the new product I found in the thread. . . http://drtimsaquatic...eandonlyFW.html

#12 Arcsis

Arcsis

Officer of Awesome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:3
  • Statement:Looks like somebody tried to cram-a-lam a Swiss Cake Roll into the disk drive.

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:41 PM

Hmm
Looks like tetra has license over Bio-spira (according to http://www.theaquari...ki.com/BioSpira anyway...)

http://www.tetra-fis.../...76&cid=3582

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq