#13 Strick

Strick

Resident Lothario

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts
  • Betta Count:1, for now...
  • Total Fish Count:30+

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:15 PM

Good info. I've got some endler fry coming from sablebeauty later this week, and this will help a lot. Thanks!!

#14 Will W

Will W

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

ohh nice fish whered you get em? ;)

A lot of other forums (Aquaria Central, etc.) sell these. I bought an albino variety that is now breeding from dixienut on AC. There are at least 4 or 5 other regular sellers of them on that site and they sell cheap, $1 each sometimes.

#15 Strick

Strick

Resident Lothario

• 5,895 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:22 AM

Old thread... but if anyone is looking for some of these, I've got 20 or so that I need to get rid of (tank's getting overcrowded). Pay for shipping and they're yours...

#16 Bettagirl7

Bettagirl7

Sparta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:7
  • Referred By:Yahoo Answers
  • Statement:Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet. ~FLuffee

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

Old thread... but if anyone is looking for some of these, I've got 20 or so that I need to get rid of (tank's getting overcrowded). Pay for shipping and they're yours...

I would love to have some endlers, but I don't have the room. Do they get along with rams?

Edited by Bettagirl7, 22 June 2010 - 11:19 AM.

#17 Strick

Strick

Resident Lothario

• 5,895 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

I would love to have some endlers, but I don't have the room. Do they get along with rams?

I honestly don't know. They're basically guppies, so they're very peaceful. But they breed like guppies, too, and your rams will probably make snacks out of the fry...

#18 Bettagirl7

Bettagirl7

Sparta

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • Total Fish Count:7
  • Referred By:Yahoo Answers
  • Statement:Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet. ~FLuffee

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

I honestly don't know. They're basically guppies, so they're very peaceful. But they breed like guppies, too, and your rams will probably make snacks out of the fry...

hmm My tank might be overstocked if I added them though.

#19 amethyst

amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:41 AM

Great work on the profile. I've seen these fish in several local LFS, including, I think, both Petco and Petsmart, so anybody that's looking might start there.

The first timo I saw them I was confused the the name because they look so-o-o much like the guppies of my childhood (back in the dark ages before all the current fancy guppy breeds and varieties), and it's very easy to see that they are a close relative. My community tank is the first tank I've had since late childhood, and it features guppies because I have many fond memories of them from childhood. At the time, the common guppies sold everywhere were what are now sold as "wild type" or "feeder" guppies. The females have very little, if any, color other than the silvery-gray that they share with the endler females and fry. The male guppies of my childhood were more likely to be multi-colored in patches and splotches like the endler males, against the silvery-gray background if there was space between the color patches. I don't think they had as many different colors as some of these types, but often had a combination of red, green, and blue with variations in the yellow content of the red and blue, and the blue content of the green, so that sometimes they were more orange, teal or turquoise, etc. rather than the pure colors, and some had yellow as part of the mix. At the time I don't think I knew about the different shape of the anal fins, because the color and size variations were so obviously different that the sex was obvious once color started to develop. They were also smaller, closer to the current size of the endlers than to the current size of the fancy guppies. One of my current female guppies is at least as long and almost as wide and thick as the female platys, and the males are the size the females used to be. Amazing what selective breeding can accomplish in 40 years! My mom will be visiting in a few days, the first time since I set up the tank in late summer, and I can't wait to see her reaction to my huge, colorful, beautiful guppies!

On the other hand, I have considered getting some wild-type guppies just "for old-time sake." Don't know if I will though, because the wild-type guppies are more likely to be used for or sold as food, and therefore aren't as well cared for (at least based on appearance of the fish and their tanks) as the fancy ones, and I certainly don't want to introduce some nasty parasites/bacteria/fungus/virus to my tank. I've considered endlers as another option. My tank is getting pretty full, though.

Edited by amethyst, 01 December 2010 - 10:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq